Friday, 17 January 2014
Sherlock at 24-25 Leinster Gardens, Bayswater
One of London’s extraordinary buildings has been revealed in the season finale of Sherlock.The genius detective shows Mary Watson a row of houses in Bayswater. Number 23 and 24 at Leinster Gardens could be any other 19th century west London terrace, but Holmes shows his assistant’s wife that the houses have false facade.
As the camera moves from the front of house and over the top of the roof, Holmes explains: “No doorknobs or letterbox and painted windows. 23 and 24 Leinster Gardens - the empty houses.In the programme an image of Mary’s face is projected on to the front as Holmes walks by with the character.
The false front was built in 1868, after the extension to the Metropolitan Line was cut through the middle of the street. The frontage helped to cover the clouds of steam from the passing trains and also facade restored the continuation of the white terrace houses, so anybody walking past would not notice what is behind this facade.
Next time you will be passing by, have a closer look!
Wednesday, 18 December 2013
NYE parties in London
Are you still looking for your perfect New Year's Eve party? Do not look further! We have covered it all in this post. Celebrate last night of 2013 in style at one of the best parties in capital.
Fancy dress parties
Gatsby New Year's Eve party
One of several Gatsby-themed dos on NYE, this one takes place at the swish and swanky Mansion Bar. An evening of sophistication and smooth jazz are promised by the organisers, along with plenty of Champagne, canapés, Charleston dancers and enough debonair goings-on and '20s costumes to fill Gatsby's bloody massive mansion.
Mansion Bar, 34-44 Barkston Gardens, London, SW5 0EW
Mansion Bar, 34-44 Barkston Gardens, London, SW5 0EW
NYE 2013: Studio 54
If you're one of the many who missed out on Studio 54, the fabulous, debauched disco-haven that helped define late the '70s NYC scene, then fear not, as you can live out your disco dreams this NYE, sort of. It's a tongue-in-cheek tribute, so expect fake sideburns and OTT cocktails drowning in plastic umbrellas rather than Larry Levan tunes, but it looks fun all the same.
Drink Shop & Do
9 Caledonian Road, London, N1 9DX
New Year at The White Mansion
The Mansion London specialise in high-end concept nights with a firm focus on debonair design and extravagant clubbing. This classy NYE party is themed around the character of Ludmilla, a 19th century Danish actress in a fetching white dress who disappeared during an NYE party in London. Maybe she just grabbed a disco nap behind the DJ booth, who knows? A very lavish New Year indeed.
Secret location in west London
Are you watching your budget this NYE or are you into quirky parties? This link below contains all kind of ideas to keep you satisfied. Happy New Year everyone, have fun partying in London!
Thursday, 21 November 2013
How NOT to overspend on Xmas
Christmas, the wonderful time of the year: the time for giving and sharing of gifts with relatives and friends. As much as we want to celebrate and be very merry during this festive season, we want to make sure that we do not put pressure on our wallets. Retailers are really good at forcing us to pay attention to latest promotions and coming up with the amazing gift ideas to tease shoppers to spend more money than we really want to. Once at the shopping mall, we are constantly bombarded with opportunities to spend & spend… Without realising it, multiple small purchases accumulate into big amounts which will give us a big shock when the credit card bill arrives later on.
This year, we need to step up our game and prepare for Christmas shopping by creating a shopping list and budget before we hit the stores.
Here are some tips to prevent overspending this Christmas:
- Have a list – List the people who you are going to buy a Christmas gift for. This is a good place to start as the exercise will help you see the ‘magnitude’ of the shopping you need to do. Here are some of the people who you will probably include in this list:
- Close friends
- Gift exchanges for Christmas parties
- Think of a gift – For each person in the list, think of a suitable gift that you will like to buy for him/her. If you are not very sure at this point, have a few potential items listed so that you at least have something in mind when you are in the mall.
- Start a budget – For each gift, estimate how much you would spend on that gift. Total the prices for all the gifts you have listed and that’ll be your budget. If you have a few possible items listed for one person, use the price of the most expensive item to calculating the budget. You want to make sure you are prepared for the worst case scenario. Take a look at the total. Is this budget affordable? If not, you may have to review step 2 and 3 until you have a final budget that you are comfortable with.
- Do online research – A good way to check if your budget is realistic is to do some online research before you actually head down to the mall. Not only is this a good way to gather gift ideas and market rates, it also saves you time and energy you would waste going to the crowded mall simply for research purpose. Here are some great sites to start you off:
- Do your shopping – Here’s where the real action starts. Get down to the shopping mall or go to online stores to do your shopping. Retailers like to run promotions during the Christmas season to encourage us to spend more. At the malls, be prepared to be tempted by irresistible offers and promotions. Having the shopping list and budget in hand will certainly help you stay focused. You are less likely to get distracted into opportunistic shopping which will leave you skint.
- Review actual spending against budget – For each actual purchase that you make, update your budget with the actual money spent. If you have burst your budget on some items, then you’ll have to lower the spending on other items to make up for the differences. Likewise, if you make some savings on certain items, then you’ll have more slack to play with on other items. Keep doing this for the entire shopping list and you will be able to constantly track your actual spending against your budget. This is vitally important to help you keep within your shopping budget.
It does take some time and effort to plan your Christmas shopping. However, the effort will allow you to shop with focus and saves you time and money later on. There will not be any nasty surprises when the January bill comes in as you know exactly how much you have spent. I hope our guests and other readers will find this blog post useful.
Friday, 8 November 2013
New openings in London
Since Festive Season has been approaching slowly, we would like to let you know about few new restaurant openings in the city.
(Vingt - Quatre) is a buzzing and popular Café & Diner in Chelsea which is opened 24/7 and serves delicious food at reasonable prices. In July this year, VQ had been newly rebranded and refurbished. If you fancy burgers at 2 am, breakfast at 9 pm or apple crumble with custard washed down with any beverage before lunch then we have found the right venue for you! VQ West End is now open in Bloomsbury on the ground floor of the St Giles Hotel.
Address: VQ Chelsea, 325 Fulham Road, London SW10 9QL
VQ West End, 111A GREAT RUSSELL STREET, LONDON WC1B 3NQ
, on the South Bank opened its door to the public on 1st of November and serves food and drinks in the art gallery of celebrated artist Feliks Topolski, whose works have been retained in the railway arch’s new incarnation. Food and drink menus represent Topolski’s free-spirit and embrace a wide range of delicious traditions, authentic flavours and artisan skills with seasonal ingredients.
Address: 150-152 Hungerford Arches, Concert Hall Approach,
London, SE1 8XU
London, SE1 8XU
Once the favourite recording studio of huge musical stars like Madonna, The Rolling Stones and Jimi Hendrix, Olympic Studios have opened their doors as a boutique cinema, cafe, private members club and restaurant. The dining room is fitted with low comfortable leather banquette seating which creates a pleasant dining experience. Have a tasty dinner, cocktail after and enjoy the latest movie in the stylish cinema. What’s not to like?
Address: Olympic Studios, 117-123 Church Road, Barnes, London, SW1 9HL